27/03/2010

Can I join in?

Hello al you potters out there in Pottery-Blogland!

I've been having so much fun reading your blogs and I find myself inspired by the work of so many of you. But the best thing about al you potters in blogland is the nice community you have created with each other!
I've been seriously digging in to clay for 3 years now, mainly hand-building Udu drums and other musical instruments.
I only started throwing on the wheel last year and I'm hooked!
I'm not nearly as experienced as many of you but I'm learning.... :-)

So I've decided to create my own blog and hope to come in contact with you potters out there to learn from you and to talk pots! I haven't found a community in The Netherlands yet (on or of-line) and my friends and mum are getting bored by my talking about clay....*sigh*....they just don't understand. :-D

So here's a short resume, in fact, very short, due to a computer-crash I have lost a lot of pictures and off-course those were the best pieces!!!!

First there are some Udu drums and a Marimba, to bad the pictures of my doumbeks are lost....
Then some of my wheel-throwing experiments.

If you have any tips or comments please do so, but please be kind....... :-)

Love to hear from you!!

blessed be,

Monique

Here's an Udu with an Aboriginal inspired design made by carving and inlaying slip.


Here's a 'big mama', boy i wish you could hear her......






This is a smal Marimba, she sounds soooo sweet!
Someday (when I can leave the wheel for a while) I want to make a bigger one, maybe with two layers.














A ceramic drum inspired on a Tongue drum.































Unomi-like teacups, bone dry, waiting for a glaze.
I am in fact firing right now, my second ever tests with making my own glazes!!!
very exiting, I'm hoping my old kiln will work; had to replace the element last week, I really, really hope to get to stoneware temperature finally!!!















Some incense burners, also waiting for a glaze.....
















My second ever two piece pot!! (no, will not show you the first one, hehe)
I'n not very happy with it, the neck is to wide but I'm getting there...!
















Bowls neatly stacked....




























7 comments:

Kim Hines said...

welcome to the blog world Monique! i fairly new to the scene too and i've found it to be great fun. i think your stuff looks really great, esp that tongue drum thing. never heard of one of those, but i love the design of the cut out, very cool! if you haven't already done so you should check out the brookfield potter (his name escapes me right now, sorry) he's been making some Udus lately. unfortunately i know absolutely nothing about udus, but they sure do look cool. and i'm doing glaze tests myself right now, hope you kiln gets up to temp! take care, kim :)

DirtKicker Pottery said...

Hi Monique, Welcome to the group :) Your work is wonderful. I'm looking forward to reading your blog :)
Cindy

Tracey Broome said...

Hi Monique: Thanks for the post on my blog. My husband is a drummer and daughter plays keyboards so I love your drums. I have thought often about making a drum for Gerry but have no idea how to go about it, maybe I can learn something from you:)
Welcome to blog world, lots of nice people out here. I will add you to my blog roll

Kyle Carpenter said...

welcome to the party!

Undaunted said...

Hi Monique! Wow, you've really burst onto the bloging scene with style!! I really love your pieces! Like you, I have struggled to find a community on or offline in my own area, so most of the blogs I read are in the US, but they are a really friendly bunch. :)

Thanks for popping by my blog too :)

Michael Mahan said...

I'd love to hear the ceramic drum inspired on a Tongue drum. I made some udus and dumbeks in the past. I keep saying I'm going to make some more udus. Do you play the tongue-like drum with your fingers or a mallet?

Michael

Anonymous said...

Hi!!!
Awesome stuff you've made:)
I got very curious about how that ceramic tongue drum sounds..
<3
Helge of Norway